POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height Field from map Comparison : Re: Height Field from map Comparison Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field from map Comparison
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 10 Sep 2003 08:47:53
Message: <3f5f1d79$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> there is some good shape there, but a lot of need for smoothing.
True!

> The point is to make a large height field from this small image map
> so enlarging and smoothing the map is not allowed.

Well I took the map into 3dsMax  (I recently have access to it)  without
preprocessing. However, to obtain any reasonable results from triangle
decimation, there has to be some removal of 8-bit artifacts. I did exactly
as I explained in my last post. The alternative is I can't solve the task.
But I guess I've broken your rule.

What I did was create a plane of 500*500 vertices. Then I displace them with
the hf_map of 150*150 pixels. Then I relaxed the angles between faces, but
because the plane had a better resolution than the original map, I reduced
the loss of details. Finally I applied mesh optimation. Without smoothing /
relaxing the mesh the optimation algoritm would try to keep all the
"stepping artifacts".

> Let me know if you would still like to compare a few techniques.
> I have found that mine still needs a little further development
> due to precision problems causing trouble when refining steep areas.

I look forward to see the result! Are you coding in SDL or C ?

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Decimation_algoritm.jpg' (46 KB)

Preview of image 'Decimation_algoritm.jpg'
Decimation_algoritm.jpg